Hey, what animal is this? It is the… sound of the practice animal. – reminding you to go practice!
– Woo! Today we will be exploring the portrayal of animals in classical music. Ooh. How do classical composers depict through music, and music alone… Animals? – So we’re gonna do it in the form of a game, a challenge,
– Yes. where we’ve asked a friend to prepare… How many excerpts? 15 different excerpts. And we’re gonna listen to them. We don’t know what the piece is called. And then we’re going to guess – what animal is being portrayed.
– Yeah. Oh. *gasps* I know this piece! I know this one. But I don’t know what it’s called. Something sinister ’cause it’s minor key. Actually, I might be wrong. Brett: BUT! – It’s all a game.
– Koala? Koala? Blub blub blub…! *snores* Yeah…! – Alright, let’s go.
– Let’s go. (both) 3, 2, 1. Donkey. Rabbit. Ooh, is it? I don’t know. – AHHHH…!!
– IT WAS KANGAROO!! IT WAS KANGAROO…!! I said kangaroo, but I was like “Saint-Saëns wouldn’t know kangaroos.” – “He’s in France!”
– Ahh, of course it’s a kangaroo! – I wrote donkey ’cause I couldn’t think of anything.
– Like shrek. Donkey. Alright, next. What? What animal? I don’t know, but I get this feeling. A lot of syncopations. A lively animal. A happy animal. I’m just gonna take a stab. This could be any animal. (both) 3, 2, 1. Squirrel. Dog. (both) Monkey!! Oh… – Oh yeah!
– Oh… *sings the melody* – Dude, this is hard.
– This is really hard. We’re both on zero. – Our classical repertoire knowledge is
– Yeah. all-time low right now. Alright, number 3. Wow, this is nice. – Dude, what animal is that?
– Sounds French/jazzy like Gershwin. Yeah. Alright, let’s go. 3, 2, 1. Cat. Flamingo. Alright, what is it? Fish! IT WAS FISH! I THOUGHT FISH! I… I swear I thought fish! I was thinking fish. – If you could read my mind, I said fish in my mind.
– To be honest, we’re close in the water. I thought watery. But that’s why I thought flamingo – ’cause it’s half in the water.
– Yeah. So I was like… “Maybe.” But the fish- Oh, it makes sense! “Drrrrr.” Oh, I thought it was too fast for fish, – but goldfish are fast.
– Yeah, they’re like “Whoosh…!” Dude, when you splash the pond, they swim a way. Dude, that was so cool. – I like that.
– That was a nice piece. Alright, next one. Bro. Okay. If this is… not… Can we just… Cat. Yeah. – Cat. Okay.
– “Cat Duet by Rossini.” – Me….ow.
– Oh my god… It’s like Rossini just gave up. – Yeah.
– He’s like “I’m just gonna make it as obvious as I can.” Yeah. But the music kinda did fit the cat. Yeah. It’s kinda like… *purr* Like a little cat like… *mumbles* “Meow!” Ooh! Bee. Wasp. – Wasp. Ohhh…
– Ooooohh… Come on, they’re the same thing! One is just more nasty than the other! Oh, I knew it should be wa- I thought bee, but I was like “No, it can’t be bee.” But it just sounds like a bee. Yeah, I was thinking it sounded too evil to be a bee. Yeah, that’s true. Mmm… Ahh… Sounds like a night animal. – Alright. Wolf.
– I don’t know. It’s a swan. Oh yeah, close enough. “Swan of Tuonela by Sibelius.” Whoa! What is that? That’s some interesting dissonance. Funky. – Ready?
– Yeah. What do you have? Snake. I have snake as well! Really?! I thought ob- duck initially ’cause of the oboe. But then the… – tonality sounds like snake.
– Sounded more slimy. Ox?! Bro, that’s not what an ox sounds like. – I guess that’s what ox sound- Yeah! Yeah,
– I don’t know what an ox on the roof sounds like, right? maybe the ox is like… “Moo… Help me! Moo!” “I’m on the roof!” How is that an ox?! Oh… We’ve played this! – Elephant.
– Elephant, yeah. Yep. Yeah… Next one! That was too obvious. It could be a hippopotamus as well. Yeah, but we know it. – Yeah.
– I just realised, actually, the swan, Sain- Sibelius really liked swans. His fifth symphony is also “Swan-calls.” Whoa… Number 9. Ooh, I know this. Oh! We played this. We did? No… Or someone did. Nah, okay. Oh! Okay. I don’t know. I’m gonna go… bird. Okay, horses. Butterfly! I was close! Bird and a butterfly both have wings. Kinda close. It’s an insect though, but yes. It’s close. Insect! See this game is rigged. – Trout.
– Trout. – Yeah, good.
– Yeah… It’s not just fish, it’s a trout! – We were so specific!
– Yeah! Ha ha ha! 11. Ooh…! This is getting interesting! Alright, are you ready? 3, 2, 1. I wrote Slowpoke. Donkey. (both) Pigs! It is slow! Oh… – There you go. Alright.
– Sounds very sad for a pig. Oh, okay. What’s the thing called? – You gotta get the exact name.
– Ow, ow… You gotta get the exact name. Lark Ascending. Yeah… That is so beautiful. I love that piece. “Lark Ascending.” Yeah, it’s a lark. Alright, next. Number 13. (both) A Baroque animal! – It’s ancient fossil.
– Yeah. It can’t be s- like a… See, this is Baroque… European. – Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking.
– Did they know about tigers? I don’t think so. – ‘Cause it’s more like Asia’s… African.
– Nah, they didn’t exist- I think it’s a… fox. Ooh… I’m gonna write… What? – Frog?
– Yeah. – Ha! Alright, let’s see.
– Frog. OHH!! OoOOhohHoHOoH!! Did you cheat?! No, I didn’t! I just thought it’s bouncy, and a frog just like, came on my head! Ha ha HA HA HA ha!! “Bup bup bup bup!” I was like… “What’s the most basic animal when you think jump?” “Frog.” Wow, Telemann! – Tele-pathy…!
– Telem- Ahhhhh… Oh! I know this one. I don’t know this piece. I know it! That sounds very proud and dignified. Alright, here we go. Alright. I wrote lion. I wrote flamingo. Pfft! – Oh, it was lion!
– You’re right. Alright, yeah, lion, dammit. Uhh! Dammit. Oh… – ‘Cause it sounded very proud and dignified.
– Yeah, like royal- – “Lion’s Royal March.”
– Yeah. Alright, last one. That’s Chopin’s stuff. There’s a lot of “du-du-du-du…” What animal did “du-du-du-du…?” Spider? Nah, it sounds too graceful to be a spider. I’m picturing like a fox or opossum, like, just… in the forest kind of… Have we got a fox? I’m going fox. I’ll just go fox. – Alright, ready?
– I don’t think it’s fox, but whatever… Yeah, what is it? Ohh… What a troll…! – Dude!
– What a troll… Dude! You think bees would be Flight of the Bumblebee? Ugh… Eddy: Alright, there you go, guys. Alright, guys. please like and subscribe! Don’t forget, go practice! Could you guys guess the animal or insect? The game was rigged since the beginning. – Yeah…
– These are- There’s 3 insects in here. Brett: Please like and subscribe! Brett: We’ll see you guys… Oh yeah. Eddy: Practice.
Brett: Yeah, practice period. Brett: See you guys next time
Eddy: You’d better… practicing. Brett: OoHohOHoH!!